PaulDotCom mailing list archives

[SNORT] Best rule categories to enable/disable

From: eslerj at gmail.com (Joel Esler)
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2009 12:14:08 -0400

The basic answer is:  What is on your network, what are you trying to catch,
and what are you interested in?
Start with Operating Systems.
What OSes do you have?  Turn those rules on.  (netbios.rules,
attack-response.rules, web-client.rules)
What browsers (and versions) do you have, turn those rules on.
What Programs do you use, turn those rules on.  (Do you use AOL Instant
Messenger?)

What are you trying to catch:
Employees surfing porn? (porn.rules)
Employees that have spyware? (spyware-put.rules)
Employees that are running unauthorized programs? (policy.rules, chat.rules)
Viruses? (specific-threats.rules, virus.rules, exploit.rules)
Exploits?
etc

What are you interested in:
More of the above, but these are more optional:
policy.rules
chat.rules

You see my point.

Don't turn everything on because that will only create more work than you
need, only turn on what you intended to DO something with, tailored to your
network.

What is actionable?  Go with that.