PaulDotCom mailing list archives

ESX Password Lockout Policies

From: gbugbear at gmail.com (Tim Mugherini)
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2009 12:22:03 -0400

After chatting with Carlos and Mick about VMWare & ESX account lockout
policies (or lack thereof) during the pre show last night, I thought I would
start an email string here. Carlos had mentioned something last night about
integration with AD policies. A while back someone had popped this into the
IRC channel (Carlos I think it was you actually).

http://blog.securitywhole.com/2009/09/01/brute-force-esx-usernamepassword.aspx

So some sysadmins here came up with the following for the ESX console
(warning have not tested yet).

------------------

To configure the ESX service console to disable the account after three
unsuccessful login attempts, add the
following lines to /etc/pam.d/system-auth:

auth required /lib/security/pam_tally.so no_magic_root
account required /lib/security/pam_tally.so deny=3
no_magic_root

To create the file for logging failed login attempts, execute the following
commands:

touch /var/log/faillog
chown root:root /var/log/faillog
chmod 600 /var/log/faillog

Of course a major disadvantage here would be DDOS by locking our any built
in accounts so a more robust solution would be desired.

Thoughts? Might make an interesting blog post ;)

Thanks

Tim