PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Getting Your Start Because You Wanted to Get Paid For Hacking

From: raffi at flossyourmind.com (Raffi Jamgotchian)
Date: Fri, 15 May 2009 08:42:24 -0400

My experience mirrors yours. After wardialing for BBSes, I ran one off
of a 'teenage line' as we called it back then. Wrote some BBS software
that sucked. After entering the workforce, outside email was
introduced to our ccMail system which I did over an serial connection
between a standalone PC that would connect to the Internet over ISDN
and finger the ISPs POP server.
People wanted to browse (this is 1995-6) so we bought a Sun Sparc
workstation and checkpoint and it was my job to set it up and harden it.

The only time that we were hacked (that I know of!) is during a
pentest they found a modem connected to a conference bridge system
running NT4 and an unsecure PCAnywhere that the vendor left on.

----
Raffi