PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Getting Your Start Because You Got Hacked

From: xntrik at gmail.com (Christian Frichot)
Date: Fri, 15 May 2009 07:28:18 +0800

I think I took the boring path into info sec...
I was humbly working my way through a computer science degree at a
university here in Perth, Australia (project management, software design,
software development, yada yada) when I saw they had a forensics unit. I
didn't know what to expect but, by the end of the course I knew I had tasted
something that I wanted to do for the rest of my life. I enrolled for an
additional year of honours studies where I wrote a paper on PDA forensic
acquisition and the problems you may have in court due to the volatility of
RAM based storage units and the effect that has on image acquisition, and
also password cracking using tools like John the Ripper on MPI based
compute-clusters.

Whilst I'd like to say that it was the forensic unit that made me want to
progress myself through this career, I think it was more to do with my
lecturer and supervisor. This man inspired me and really opened my eyes to a
whole branch of computing that I hadn't really been exposed to before.

I've ended up in the financial services area, I hope to return to Uni one
day to do lectures, tutes, write papers and present.. the research side of
Uni was fantastic!

-Christian

PS: Great thread topic Paul!