PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Getting Your Start Because You Got Hacked

From: paul at pauldotcom.com (Paul Asadoorian)
Date: Thu, 14 May 2009 14:51:51 -0400

Nice!  Love it!

Thanks Josh,

Paul

Joshua Wright wrote:
I was working for Johnson & Wales University and we had a Citrix server
running on NT 3.51.  I was one of the first people who got a cable-modem
at home from Cox Communications, and it rocked!  It rocked so much,
someone else on the LAN discovered my workgroup and host, and connected
to an unprotected share on my Windows 98 machine where he grabbed the
.ica file with a stored password to the Citrix server.  He called me at
home to let me know how r00ted I was, after getting my home phone number
from my wife's resume.doc file.

Yeah, it was pretty painful, but it was my motivator to get into
infosec.  "Wow, that sucks, but at the same time, it's so awesome too"
is the best way I can describe it.

Years later we bumped into each other in Providence, and he told me how
he's been watching my career since he called me that first time.  I
thanked him for his help. :)

-Josh

Paul Asadoorian wrote:
All:

I'd like to start a new thread where we all share our experiences on how
we got into computer security.  Specifically I want to hear about people
whose boxes got hacked, and sparked a life-long career in infosec.

I may use your story in an upcoming piece I am working on, if I do I
will contact you off-list for permission and such.

Larry, I know you got a good story here ;)

Thanks!

Cheers,
Paul