PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Firewall Audit

From: paul at pauldotcom.com (Paul Asadoorian)
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2009 07:21:34 -0400

Agreed, auditing firewalls is a two-phased approach (Even three).
First, you need to understand your rules and audit them on a regular
basis.  Of course, change management people HATE this because I would
put in a change notice every couple of months and call it "maintenance"
and clean-up the firewall rules, remove rules that didn't exist, etc...

Second, you should perform scans through the firewall and make sure its
blocking what it says it should be blocking.

Third, you should audit your firewall logs, they can also tell you if
you made an "oops" and are allowing traffic that you should not.  I
actually had a systems administrator catch a firewall rule that was
incorrect because they were seeing FTP login attempts from the Internet!

Cheers,
Paul