PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Steps taken During a Web App Pentest

From: irongeek at irongeek.com (Adrian Crenshaw)
Date: Mon, 8 Jun 2009 11:57:05 -0400

I don't get it, how can I use ear wax in a web app pen-test? Maybe social
engineering: Give me your password or I'll leave this on your keyboard?

Adrian

2009/6/8 Paul Asadoorian <paul at pauldotcom.com>

I think the most important tool is the one between your ears :)

Seriously, the best web application bugs are found by using the web
application, understanding what it does (preferably browse to all
functionality through your favorite web app proxy like webscarab), then
coming up with scenarios that might break it.  Once you understand those
scenarios you can find/write tools to help execute your attack.

However, you may also want to use some automated tools that will find
some points to start your manual testing.  This is a different phase of
the test, but an important one.  I would use tools such as Nikto,
grendel-scan, web spider, w3af, etc.. for this type of testing.

Cheers,
Paul

infolookup at gmail.com wrote:
Thanks for the feed back so far anyone else wants to state what testing
framework or tools the are using preferably open source.

Once I am finish the initial testing my next steps will be to lock it
done, configure some sort of self sign cert for apache to use ssl
instead of the native http for starters.