PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Man-in-the-middle awareness....(+defcon17)

From: moore.steve at gmail.com (stephen r. moore)
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 2009 16:59:46 -0400

Brian / Adrian,

You might want to look into XArp 2.  There is a free beta version. We
almost included it in a class I help put together, but we ran out of
time/space. The full version is $31.

http://www.chrismc.de/

Cheers,
Steve

On Tue, Jun 2, 2009 at 9:34 PM, Brian H <binarynomad at gmail.com> wrote:
[REPOST APOLOGY]: Sorry if this is a repost, I never saw my original
message hit the list, so I'm trying again.

I just finished watching Adrian's "Hacker Con WiFi Hijinx Video:
Protecting Yourself On Potentially Hostile Networks " which was fun,
and I was happily surprised to see he had started development of an
user end IPS "DecaffeinatID". ?It reminded me of ?the "Hot Spot
Defense Kit" from the Shmoo group. ?Ever since I saw it during a
Defcon presentation, I loved it and I thought it should pretty much be
a standard install with any wireless workstation. ?Sadly no
development seems to have gone past that proof of concept. ?It was
useful for Tiger installs, but nothing since.

With the advent of so many MiTM tools out there, it seems that there
are so few defensive ones. ?I'm not a programmer, but it just seems so
surprising that more of these haven't been developed. ?I realize that
ARP is only one attack vector, and that DNS and DHCP spoofing can also
be employed, but this just seems to be the easy, low hanging fruit
that hasn't been picked off yet.

One's I know of:

- Windows - decaffeinatid - beta development - promising outlook
- Macintosh - Hot Spot Defense Kit (HSDK) - no development - Broken in
Leopard (10.5)
- Macintosh - ArpSpyX - current development? - just found it, have yet
to test
- Linux - Arpwatch - current development - basic command line, not
widget/desktop friendly

What are your experiences on host based protection from MiTM attacks?

Also, speaking of hostile networks, how many people are heading to
Defcon17? ?Any possibilities for a meet up?

----
Brian H
binarynomad at gmail.com