PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Any Advice Trojan.BHO

From: binarynomad at gmail.com (Brian H)
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2009 18:03:41 -0700

Also, if they are willing to deal with the added maintenance and cost,
you can opt to install Sandboxie (http://www.sandboxie.com/) to help
reduce the attack surface from both FF and IE exploits.

----
Brian

On Apr 24, 2009, at 12:54 PM, Mad Marv wrote:

IF they are serious and are willing to put up with the
inconvenience, I
recommend installing the NoScript and Flashblock Firefox extensions.
These should prevent any drive by malware installations.  NoScript
also
has some XSS prevention too.  The downside is that web browsing starts
to break down when scripts are blocked across the board.  The user can
approve scripts one by one, or white list scripts from entire domains.
But training NoScript to do so is a chore.

On the plus side, blocking scripts makes browsing super fast.  And
those
annoying flash banner ads never bother you.

Oh, and setup OpenDNS too.  Create a profile and block parked
domains in
addition to the default phishing / adware blacklists.  I've been
noticing that some parked domains should be classified as phish but
are
not.  And, nobody will really miss a parked domain.  Use DNS-o-matic
register and auto-update your client's IP address w/ OpenDNS.

Marv

Shaun Curry wrote:
Hello again everyone:

I have a client that recent was hacked.  We learned of this when an
email notification was sent from the bank stating that a "bill pay"
had
been sent, but the client didn't setup any bill pay.  The money has
been
refunded and the bank is contacting the FBI to prosecute.  I have
learned that they were infected by trojan.bho which as I understand
is a
browser helper object that looks for SSL traffic and then keylogs
user
names and passwords.  Once an SSL session is detected a ping is
sent to
the attacker alerting them that SSL is being used and the somehow it
sends the keylogger info via ICMP. We have removed the BHO and they
have
reset all passwords.

I am curious if there is anything else I can do to prevent this
attack
from happening again?  I installed and instructed the user to use
Firefox and not IE and updated all windows updates along with the
antivirus.  They are using Symantec Corporate Edition v. 10.  Is
there a
better antivirus to use?  They have a PIX for a firewall....  and
thats
about all I can think of right now...

Any ideas?

thanx