PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Netbook for travel and hacking

From: Don.Kiser at Optimation.us (Don Kiser)
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2009 08:45:02 -0400

I had recently purchased a Sager 7260 to use a netbook. It's has all the bells and whistles of a full size laptop in a
nice small 12.1" Screen. However the 90min battery life with the standard 4cell battery and hope of getting up to 2hrs
with the 8-cell relegated it to being the new home machine.

After looking at the various offerings in the 9" to 10" range. I found the screens or keyboards to be too small and
lack of optical drive deterrent. Trying to do much of anything beyond a CLI was just aggravating. So, I went in look of
a replacement.

I think I found a happy medium between portability and size in the Dell Inspiron 13. While it's not going to win any
rave reviews from gamers, for the road warrior it looks to be a good choice.  It's has a 13.3" screen (1280x800), 250GB
hard drive, 1GB RAM (I upgraded to 4gb from Crucial for $50)  wireless( I opted for N since the standard is Broadcom
and unreliable in Linux), Bluetooth, webcam, slot load dvd writer/cd, SD card slot.

What sold me was the 85w/hr battery. I currently have a D820 as my primary laptop. It has an 85 w/hr battery and that
get's 6hrs easily so the Inspiron should do at least equally as well if not better. The price point of the Inspiron
isn't bad either. Nicely equipped with the Celeron processor it's close to $600, go with a core duo and you jump up
another $100 or so.

Don Kiser
Senior Software Engineer
Optimation Technology, Inc.