PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Security in The Cloud

From: eslerj at gmail.com (Joel Esler)
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2009 00:00:51 -0400

Frankly, I am disappointed in EPIC.

On Tue, Mar 17, 2009 at 11:30 PM, John Fitzpatrick <thefitzman at gmail.com>wrote:

Just read an article about EPIC (Electronic Privacy Information Center)
asking the FTC to investigate Google for "the adequacy of the privacy and
security safeguards." They have even stated that gmail, google docs, etc
should be taken offline until google can prove their security.

 Personally when I read things like this I always ask myself 'What would
Bruce Schneier say?". I think it is up to an individual to measure the risk
of cloud computing and act accordingly. I know EPIC is trying to help the
average Joe out there but jumping up and down and yelling at google
accomplishes little. Their efforts would be better spent on teaching people
how to take their privacy into their own hands. As I type I am doing a
search on a p2p network and the amount of personal documents shared is
staggering. Cloud computing may seem scary to privacy advocates but at least
when google has a breach you hear about it. The same can't be said for when
there is a breach on your personal PC attached to the internet.

What are your opinions on this?