PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Proactive Measures

From: dninja at gmail.com (Robin Wood)
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2009 02:19:09 +0000

2009/2/1 Arch Angel <arch3angel at gmail.com>:
Hey Everyone,

I have been pondering the idea of creating a list of things a person can do
prior to going to an event such as DefCon or Shmoocon to protect
themselves.  I thought since we getting closer to Shmoocon it might make for
an interesting list as everyone begins to add their special tweaks.

Here are a couple that come to mind for me, although it is not all of them
it will get the list started :-)

Hardcode DNS - 208.67.220.220 & 208.67.222.222
Disable Bluetooth
Disable Wireless if at all possible
SSH & Tunnel
Configure local firewall to only allow whats absolutely needed and drop
anything else
Create a checksum of the system before leaving & check it while at the event
Change passwords before leaving
Change passwords as soon as you return
Never leave your equipment unattended
Never check banking or other important sites while at the event
Disable any unneeded users on the system

Test the laptop prior to leaving

Just a quick list off the top of my head, I'll think about it more while I
am at work tonight...

This is along similar lines:

http://www.novainfosecportal.com/2009/02/01/shmoocon-2009-guide-?-general-advice/

I've got to say, I'm on my third year and agree with what is being
said, I did just talks the first year, missed a few last year and this
year will definitely be getting the videos for all but the best.

Robin