PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Warfare all over

From: mike.patterson at unb.ca (Mike Patterson)
Date: Fri, 02 Jan 2009 13:57:25 -0500

Arch Angel wrote on 1/2/09 10:18 AM:
of ideas and comments.  Even I have pondered why on Earth people are taking
terms and actions from one context and placing them in others

The answer to that one is easy: analogous thinking is among the more
powerful tools humans have at their disposal.  (Why yes, I am a
phil/psych undergrad, why do you ask? :) )

My primary issue isn't with the fact that IT Sec Pros use military
analogies; it's that we do it in a shallow fashion, and don't seem
interested in trying to find other, potentially more powerful ones.

As far as capturing some of the conversation and thoughts, I've been
podering a blawg post, since I'm Hip And With It, but things have been
pretty busy for me.  Not a lot more public than mailing list archives,
but it's something.

Mike

--
NT is a one-legged cow, but even a one legged cow is fast when
it's got 160+ rockets strapped to it.