PaulDotCom mailing list archives

keyboard sniffing video question

From: larry at pauldotcom.com (Larry Pesce)
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2008 10:24:33 -0500

I do have some comments.

Yes, it seemed like a very canned test.  Yes, it was in a "lab"
environment.  I did read some follow up to the release (which I'll
see if I can find), where the researchers did comment of all of these
items.  There were others in the other offices typing, but they had
tuned to pick up one keyboard based on the unique signature.  The
monitor interference they stated was also in effect, as the monitor
for the receiving station was on, as well as other operating gear in
both offices that you see in the background video.  The reason they
unplugged the power adapter form the laptop?  To prove that they
weren't being sneaky and analyzing power fluctuations, or anything
else via a wire.

That's not to say that there weren't any shenanigans.  :-)

I'll have to see if I can find the additional comments made by the
researchers.

- L