PaulDotCom mailing list archives

New Generic top-level domains (gTLDs) are being expanded.

From: mvharley2 at gmail.com (Dan Wagner)
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2008 13:25:28 -0700

Thanks Robin,

I was really looking for some perspective on the impact and you provided
some good points.  As of Oct there is additional documentation the risks,
costs and dispute processes.

MV

On Fri, Nov 21, 2008 at 10:25 AM, Robin Wood <dninja at gmail.com> wrote:

2008/11/21 Dan Wagner <mvharley2 at gmail.com>:
 > OK, guys, forgive me if I missed any previous discussions on this,
however I
would like to know what risks/considerations companies are applying to
this
move by ICANN to EXXXPPAAANNNDDD 'Top Level Domains'?

Google:
"After years of discussion and thought, generic top-level domains (gTLDs)
are being expanded. They will allow for more innovation, choice and
change
to a global Internet presently served by just 21 generic top-level domain
names. "

By the way at 185K per gTLD the croud may not be big... so WTF do you
think?

From what I've read, on top of the basic cost you are going to have to
prove that you have, or can afford, the infrastructure to be able to
support the tld as well. That probably limits the userbase down even
further. I reckon there will be the obvious few, .google, .microsoft
.ibm etc and maybe some groups such as the porn industry grouping
together under the .xxx tld.

Firms are going to still have to pick up the current collection of
tlds to prevent people getting them and using them for impersonation
attacks. The more things a company has to remember to renew, the more
chance that one will be forgotten. Microsoft could end up owning
.microsoft but forgetting about microsoft.com and losing it to someone
on the ball who grabs it when it expires.

Also, if groups do take off there is good chance for impersonation and
confusion in that area. If we all club together and setup .hackers I
could own ninja.hackers but then the bad guys create .crackers and
have ninja.crackers. At the moment, if you get the wrong tld you can
usually get the right one within a few guesses with a potentially open
list of tlds you could be guessing all day.

So, not much about security but a bit about confusion that could end
up causing security problems.

Robin