PaulDotCom mailing list archives

odd lack of some internet connectivity

From: monkey at monkeycoder.org (Richer Dinelle)
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2008 16:20:11 -0500

As you may know, if the website you're trying to reach is blocking
icmp at large then the pmtu won't work and won't be able to adjust its
mtu. For example, an ADSL connection is using 1492 as its mtu but I
had problems in the past with some websites (windows update or hotmail
for example ...) and would timeout. By lowering the mtu at say 1456 or
1484 it solved the problem. I hope it helps.

Rick