PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Hosted Applications and Security or Lack there Of

From: gbugbear at gmail.com (Bugbear)
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2008 13:25:00 -0500

thank you both interesting comments!

2008/11/3 Paul Asadoorian <paul at pauldotcom.com>

Just a quick thought, sometimes its better to have a third party host
something if you do not have the proper resources internally to support
it.  For example, if you know what internal staff will not be able to
maintain a web application, or if they do it will have a good
probability that it will be vulnerable, then you may consider having
someone else do the maintenance.  Now, if that web app is vital to your
organization and contains the secrets to your business, then go seek out
and fund the proper resources :)

Cheers,
Paul

Bugbear wrote:
Good Morning Everyone,

I had an interesting discussion with my boss yesterday over a really
great lunch and I decided to post it up here to see what dialog comes
out of it.

We certainly have come a long way from a service provider just providing
a Virtual Web Server for our Corporate Web Page. Seems like everyone now
is selling a "hosted" solution. There is Anti-Spam Services, Message
Archiving, HRS Databases, Online Collaboration, Expense Reporting, DR
Services, etc... Every time I see such a  request or project plan in my
Company for a service such as these I get a twitch in my left eye and
have a sudden urge to smoke. In most instances I would prefer to have
the apps in house but the reality of being a mid-sized R&D company with
no products yet and limited resources sets in quickly.

What is everyone doing at work? Do you try to keep things in house?
Maybe based on the nature of the data (i.e. Hosted website offering up
generic info on Company is a lot different than a HR Database being out
there)? What does everyone look for when evaluating a host (i.e. SAS 70,
other independent audit reports, pens tests, site visits, etc...)?

Fire away I am very interested in every ones opinion!

Tim

--
Paul Asadoorian
PaulDotCom Enterprises