PaulDotCom mailing list archives

Deploying Honeypots for Home Network Monitoring

From: paul at pauldotcom.com (Paul Asadoorian)
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2008 12:20:53 -0500

Sounds like fun!

A word of caution though, anytime you setup a honeypot with the
intention of letting it fall victim to attackers keep it separate.  I
like to physically separate them, give them different IP ranges, use a
separate firewall, etc...  Also, you will want to rate limit the out
going traffic and monitor closely (the last thing you want is your IP
banned because your honeypot is sending SPAM).

I'd take a look at the Honeynet Project (http://www.honeynet.org/) for
more information.

Cheers,
Paul

infolookup at gmail.com wrote:
Hello All:

I have been doing some brief research on Honeypots, and Botnets after
looking at my Firewall logs and noticing a few specify IP address
that try to attack my network around the clock.

This has caused me to look into  a test environment where I could
better monitor these activities.

Any and all suggestions are welcomed. Sent from my Verizon Wireless