oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: Python standard library defaults to insecure TLS for mail protocols

From: nightmare.yeah27 () aceecat org
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2024 12:30:22 -0800

On Thu, Feb 01, 2024 at 09:27:15PM +0100, Hanno Böck wrote:

Relaying *MTAs* do not usually verify the certificate of the
server they connect to.

Even that isn't true any more in 2024. The largest mail providers
(and plenty of small ones) all support MTA-STS. So in most cases,
certificate validity and hostnames are checked.

When they do, it creates problems because MTA certificates are
very often self-signed. IIRC Yahoo relays in particular used to
have this problem (or still do?)

Doubtful:
host -t txt _mta-sts.yahoo.com
_mta-sts.yahoo.com descriptive text "v=STSv1; id=20161109010200Z;"

If they had invalid certs, they wouldn't receive any mails from
MTA-STS supporting senders. I think someone would've noticed.

I see little point in re-litigating the rest of the argument, but I
should note that I meant this the other way. Yahoo used to be the one
major *sender* provider that checked the recipient certs, and when it
failed it fell back to plaintext.

--
Ian