oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: Numerous unconfirmed FOSS CVEs disclosed on FD mailing list

From: Matthew Fernandez <matthew.fernandez () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2024 20:50:42 +1100

On 2/1/24 19:54, Amos Jeffries wrote:
On 27/01/24 12:03, Matthew Fernandez wrote:
On 1/27/24 08:53, Alan Coopersmith wrote:
While I can't speak for all the projects involved, I can speak for the
X.Org maintainers & security team, and I can say that we were not
consulted or informed about this CVE filing - if I wasn't on the FD
mailing list, I wouldn't even know it had happened.  The CNA responsible
has not yet published the CVE to the CVE database yet, so we can't yet
file a dispute, but once they do, I plan to request that they withdraw
CVE-2023-45916 for xedit, as there is no security boundary crossed here
and the bug doesn't allow someone to do anything they otherwise couldn't.

We (the Graphviz maintainers) were also not consulted/informed. Though we do not plan to contest the CVE.

Please *DO* contest CVE issued for non-security bugs. It helps discourage this kind of bad behaviour if their CVEs get removed. May also help CNA to identify repeat offenders for closer inspection of reports.

The CVE in question is CVE-2023-46045. MITRE still shows it as RESERVED but many downstream trackers already have the details.

Whether this has a security impact or not is environment specific. So I’m inclined to be conservative and leave it. Though the affected versions are wrong, which is going to impact downstream triage, so we’ll have to contest that.

The Graphviz project doesn’t generally request CVEs. Though sometimes third parties request CVEs against Graphviz. We’re usually fine with that; if someone wants a CVE to track, OK. These third parties rarely (never?) consult with us before requesting. So Graphviz commit messages and changelogs almost never mention CVEs, because we’re not aware of them at the time.