oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: backdoor in upstream xz/liblzma leading to ssh server compromise

From: Solar Designer <solar () openwall com>
Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2024 22:33:47 +0200

On Sat, Mar 30, 2024 at 11:00:09PM +0100, Solar Designer wrote:
On Fri, Mar 29, 2024 at 08:51:26AM -0700, Andres Freund wrote:
This injects an obfuscated script to be executed at the end of configure. This
script is fairly obfuscated and data from "test" .xz files in the repository.

Gynvael Coldwind @gynvael performed what's probably the most elaborate
analysis of the bash obfuscation so far.  I'm posting it in here on his
behalf.  The original blog post is at:

https://gynvael.coldwind.pl/?lang=en&id=782

Much of the scripted part of the backdoor is now also illustrated by
Thomas Roccia @fr0gger_ in:

https://twitter.com/fr0gger_/status/1774342248437813525

I'm attaching a scaled down and color-reduced (but legible) version of
the image ("convert -strip -quality 100 -resize 50% -colors 12").

Alexander