oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: backdoor in upstream xz/liblzma leading to ssh server compromise

From: Tavis Ormandy <taviso () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2024 16:37:48 -0000 (UTC)

On 2024-03-29, Ivan Delalande wrote:
On Fri, Mar 29, 2024 at 08:51:26AM -0700, Andres Freund wrote:
For which the exploit code was then adjusted:
https://github.com/tukaani-project/xz/commit/6e636819e8f070330d835fce46289a3ff72a7b89

Given the activity over several weeks, the committer is either directly
involved or there was some quite severe compromise of their
system. Unfortunately the latter looks like the less likely explanation, given
they communicated on various lists about the "fixes" mentioned above.

Knowing this, I hope the recent kernel patch series involving the same
person to some degree will get extra scrutiny:
https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/20240320183846.19475-1-lasse.collin () tukaani org/t/

Thanks Andres, incredible find and write-up!

It was also pointed out they submitted an odd PR to libarchive:

https://github.com/libarchive/libarchive/pull/1609

In summary, they replaced calls to safe_fprintf() with fprintf() --
meaning control characters are no longer filtered from errors. That
seems pretty minor, but now that we know they were in the business of
obfuscating the presence of backdoors -- seems a bit suspicious.

Regardless, that change has now been reverted:

https://github.com/libarchive/libarchive/pull/2101

Tavis.

--
 _o)            $ lynx lock.cmpxchg8b.com
 /\\  _o)  _o)  $ finger taviso () sdf org