oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: CVE-2024-28085: Escape sequence injection in util-linux wall

From: nightmare.yeah27 () aceecat org
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2024 13:57:12 -0700

On Wed, Mar 27, 2024 at 11:00:00AM -0400, Skyler Ferrante (RIT Student) wrote:

Wall-Escape (CVE-2024-28085)

This allows unprivileged users to put arbitrary text on other
users terminals, if mesg is set to y and wall is setgid. CentOS
is not vulnerable since wall is not setgid. On Ubuntu 22.04 and
Debian Bookworm, wall is both setgid and mesg is set to y by
default.

I wonder how this comes about? I have looked around for a bit,
but the places that seemed relevant -- mostly /etc/default/devpts
and /etc/login.defs -- seem to show it should be 0600 by default.

Something somewhere overrides these, but I can't find that
something anywhere.

--
Ian