oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: CVE-2023-23583: Intel - Denial of Service - Privilege Escalation (Reptar)

From: Solar Designer <solar () openwall com>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2023 20:24:02 +0100

On Tue, Nov 14, 2023 at 01:58:21PM -0500, Demi Marie Obenour wrote:
Does this also allow privilege escalation from a VM guest to the host?

Per Tavis' writeup, this at least allows a VM guest to trigger machine
check exceptions and halt the host.  So it's at least a DoS.  My reading
is this can cause wrong control flow at least in SMT sibling threads, so
is a privilege escalation risk from VMs at least when SMT is enabled.
Without SMT, it's still at least a DoS.

What are the limited scenarios?

I would like to know this, too.  I doubt it's been fully researched.

Alexander