oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: sandboxing,of upstream programs by distros

From: Matthew Fernandez <matthew.fernandez () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2023 07:52:07 +1100

On 10/15/23 04:07, Demi Marie Obenour wrote:

Which software is this?  Are there plans to at least fix the known
memory safety problems?  If not, I think it would be best to disable the
known-vulnerable features by default.  If the entire software package is
vulnerable, I recommend deprecating it and recommending that downstream
users migrate to a more secure alternative.

I deliberately did not name it to avoid getting into a discussion like this. The short answer is that we’re doing our best but the history of the project includes 10+ year old bugs that no one has had the time or resources to address. “fix all the bugs” simply is not a strategy that survives contact with the real world.

You have to be willing to break compatibility to at least some degree.
If you try to support everything, you wind up with something like Qubes
OS’s “convert to trusted image”, which creates and destroys an entire
virtual machine for every operation.  Even then, you will still break
a (hypothetical) plugin that accesses the Internet, because that VM
should not have network access.

What I would do is compile a list of system calls that are reasonable to
make after startup.  Once all plugins have been loaded and all
configuration files have been read, no plugin should be opening files or
making network connections.  If it does, that plugin is broken and needs
to be fixed.  You can have these system calls fail rather than killing
the entire process, but you cannot try to support arbitrary plugins.
That said, I expect most existing plugins will work fine with
sandboxing.

Sure, but you’re answering a different question than the one I asked.