oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: CVE-2023-4863: libwebp: Heap buffer overflow in WebP Codec

From: Marc Deslauriers <marc.deslauriers () canonical com>
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2023 07:42:22 -0400

On 2023-09-22 01:28, Hanno Böck wrote:
On Thu, 21 Sep 2023 22:52:50 +0200
Solar Designer <solar () openwall com> wrote:

However, another maybe-important one also made it into 1.3.2:

commit 95ea5226c870449522240ccff26f0b006037c520
Author: Vincent Rabaud <vrabaud () google com>
Date:   Mon Sep 11 16:06:08 2023 +0200

     Fix invalid incremental decoding check.

It does not look to me that this fix is in 1.3.2:
https://github.com/webmproject/libwebp/commits/v1.3.2

I've seen this commit as well and have been wondering for a few days if
we'll hear about abother libwebp issue soon.

We (Ubuntu) didn't include that second commit in our libwebp updates, and I don't believe Red Hat/Fedora did either. If that second commit does have a security impact, it probably needs a different CVE to clear up confusion.

Marc.