oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: PostgreSQL and CREATEROLE permission

From: Jeffrey Walton <noloader () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2023 18:29:10 -0400

On Thu, Apr 20, 2023 at 3:39 PM Bernd Zeimetz <bernd () bzed de> wrote:

This information showed up on the pgsql-general mailing list at [1].
It appears a user with CREATEROLE can elevate to root through
pg_execute_server_program.[2]

really root? As I understand it you gain access to the DB superuser (usually
the postgres user) only. Although I could imagine that you could trick
careless admins into giving you root permissions on that way...

I hope I did not misparse things when I sent the email. My apologies if I did.

Jeff