oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: polkitd service user privilege separation

From: Jordan Glover <Golden_Miller83 () protonmail ch>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2023 14:08:10 +0000

On Wednesday, March 29th, 2023 at 9:24 PM, Simon McVittie <smcv () debian org> wrote:

polkitd can only be either trusted or untrusted, we can't have it both
ways. I think the main thing that's wrong here is the documentation that
claims that the privilege separation is meaningful.

smcv

Is it valid conclusion that polkitd would be better of just running as root? That would clear any possible confusion.
Or are there advantages of running it as separate "trusted" user?

Jordan