oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: CVE Request: heap buffer overflow in gdk-pixbuf

From: John Helmert III <ajak () gentoo org>
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2022 11:51:53 -0500

On Sat, Jul 23, 2022 at 07:35:42PM +0700, Pedro Ribeiro wrote:
Hi,

A year ago I found and submitted a vulnerability to the gdk-pixbuf tracker:
https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gdk-pixbuf/-/issues/190

It's a heap buffer overflow using a crafted GIF, which is likely
exploitable in 32 bit systems. Full details are in the link above in the
bug tracker.

This was patched and the fix was merged 8 months ago as seen here:
https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gdk-pixbuf/-/merge_requests/121

The issue is now public, but since no CVE was attributed, it probably is
not being considered as a problem for downstream users of the package.

As of today, the latest Debian stable package is affected by this
vulnerability. Using a GNOME file system browser and browsing to that
folder will cause a crash, as will opening it up in a GNOME image viewer
and even attempting to load it in Chromium (should have submitted to
them for a bounty :D).

Hence I'd like to get a CVE to raise awareness for this issue, so that
downstream users of the package can get patched.

Thanks and regards,
Pedro Ribeiro

Hi, according to the oss-security Openwall wiki page [1], CVEs need to
be requested via MITRE's web form [2].