oss-sec mailing list archives

Grails Framework Remote Code Execution Vulnerability, CVE-2022-35912

From: "Myers, Christopher" <Christopher.Myers () sdbor edu>
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2022 19:58:07 +0000

I haven't seen this posted yet, so I'm just passing along.

The Grails team has confirmed a critical security vulnerability reported by meizjm3i and codeplutos of AntGroup FG
Security Lab. This vulnerability has been assigned identifier
CVE-2022-35912<https://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cgi?name=CVE-2022-35912>.

The vulnerability allows an attacker to remotely execute code within a Grails application runtime by issuing a
specially crafted web request that grants the attacker access to the class loader. This attack exploits a section of
the Grails data-binding logic. Grails data-binding is invoked in a number of ways including the creation of command
objects, domain class construction, and manual data binding when using bindData. For a full description, please refer
to the data-binding documentation<https://docs.grails.org/latest/guide/theWebLayer.html#dataBinding>.

Blog post: https://grails.org/blog/2022-07-18-rce-vulnerability.html

Github thread: https://github.com/grails/grails-core/issues/12626