oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: Browser-mediated attacks on WebDriver servers

From: Gabriel Corona <gabriel.corona () enst-bretagne fr>
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2022 21:20:08 +0200

Hi,

> * Selenium server/Grid CSRF vulnerability;
> * Selenium server/Grid DNS-rebinding vulnerability.

I have tried requesting CVE IDs for those three times (first request was done in 2021-06-12) and failed so far.

All three attempts were rejected for the following reasons:

> The Jenkins CNA is responsible for assigning CVE IDs to
> vulnerabilities in this product. Please contact the Jenkins CNA
> to get a CVE ID assigned to this issue.

However, as a far as I understand this not the case. Here is the scope of the Jenkins CNA [1]:

> The Jenkins project is a CVE Numbers Authority (CNA) for Jenkins
> and Jenkins plugins published by the Jenkins project (listed
> on plugins.jenkins.io and/or hosted in the jenkinsci
> GitHub organization). This means that the Jenkins project assigns
> CVE IDs for vulnerabilities in these components.

A Selenium plugin [2,3] in indeed included in the list of Jenkins
plugins. This plugin includes [4] selenium-standalone-server but is
different from selenium-standalone-server [5] itself.

I asked the Jenkins CNA:

> I have been redirected to you by MITRE concerning the allocation of
> CVE IDs for several vulnerabilities in Selenium standalone server /
> Selenium Grid [...]
>
> I believe this is a mistake as I do not see any clue indicating
> that Jenkins CNA might be responsible for assigning CVE IDs
> to vulnerabilities in this product. Could you confirm me that this
> is an error by MITRE ?

Here is the answer from the Jenkins CNA:

> You are correct: Selenium is not in the scope of the Jenkins CNA.
> That said, we assigned CVE IDs in the past for Jenkins plugins
> integrating Jenkins and Selenium in some way (CVE-2021-21672,
> CVE-2020-2196). Those are in our scope. Perhaps this is the source
> of the confusion?

In my third CVE request attempt, I explicitly stated:

> [Additional Information]
> This was previously reported and denied with the following reason:
>
> > The Jenkins CNA is responsible for assigning CVE IDs to
> > vulnerabilities in this product. Please contact the Jenkins CNA to
> > get a CVE ID assigned to this issue.
>
> I asked Jenkins CNA about this and they denied being responsible
> for Selenium itself :
>
> > You are correct: Selenium is not in the scope of the Jenkins CNA.
> > That said, we assigned CVE IDs in the past for Jenkins plugins
> > integrating Jenkins and Selenium in some way (CVE-2021-21672,
> > CVE-2020-2196). Those are in our scope. Perhaps this is the
> > source of the confusion?

However, the request is still rejected for the same reason.

Any idea how to proceed from there?

[1] https://www.jenkins.io/security/cna/
[2] https://plugins.jenkins.io/selenium/
[3] https://github.com/jenkinsci/selenium-plugin