oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: CVE-2022-1729: race condition in Linux perf subsystem leads to local privilege escalation

From: Solar Designer <solar () openwall com>
Date: Wed, 25 May 2022 01:21:55 +0200

On Wed, May 25, 2022 at 12:20:44AM +0200, Norbert Slusarek wrote:
Hello Alexander,

Since you shared actual exploit code on linux-distros, you're supposed
to also post that to oss-security within 7 days of your first posting
above, so by or on May 27. Do you intend to?

I don't intend to share the exploit to the public, mainly because
the issue was fixed only few days ago. Instead, anyone wanting to check
his own system for the bug should resort to the attached PoC repro.

I realize this is one of the aspects that not everyone is happy about.

Yes, you got that right.

Thank you for posting the repro.

What do you suggest we do regarding the LPE exploit you sent to
linux-distros?

What do you suggest we do with this policy aspect going forward, so that
people do not get into a situation where they're required to do
something they didn't want to subscribe to?

Alexander