oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: zlib memory corruption on deflate (i.e. compress)

From: Alan Coopersmith <alan.coopersmith () oracle com>
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2022 14:27:12 -0700

For those who don't monitor the https://www.zlib.net/ home page, version 1.2.12 was released on Sunday.

        -alan-

On 3/26/22 19:29, Adler, Mark wrote:
Petr,

Yes, I will release develop to master. I need to do some portability testing first.

Mark

On Mar 23, 2022, at 10:43 PM, Petr Štetiar <ynezz () true cz> wrote:

Tavis Ormandy <taviso () gmail com> [2022-03-23 20:49:49]:

[ adding Mark to the Cc: loop ]

Hi,

Greetings list, I was recently trying to track down a reproducible crash
in a compressor. Believe it or not, it really was a bug in
zlib-1.2.11 when compressing (not decompressing!) certain inputs.

thank you for letting us know!

I reported it upstream, but it turns out the issue has been public since
2018, but the patch never made it into a release. As far as I know,
nobody ever assigned it a CVE.

https://github.com/madler/zlib/commit/5c44459c3b28a9bd3283aaceab7c615f8020c531

As far as I can tell, no distros have picked this up.

It's mostly due to the fact, that AFAIK it has never hit the release. Mark,
would it be please possible to do another point release with that security
fix included? Thanks!

Cheers,

Petr

--
        -Alan Coopersmith-                 alan.coopersmith () oracle com
         Oracle Solaris Engineering - https://blogs.oracle.com/solaris