oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: CVE-2021-42574: rustc 1.56.0 and bidirectional-override codepoints in source code

From: Dave Horsfall <dave () horsfall org>
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2021 03:53:12 +1100 (EST)

On Mon, 1 Nov 2021, Pietro Albini wrote:

The Rust Security Response WG was notified of a security concern affecting source code containing "bidirectional override" Unicode codepoints: in some cases the use of those codepoints could lead to the reviewed code being different than the compiled code.

[...]

Am I the only one here who remembers the original ALGOL specification that what is printed on the paper is the language?

We've seen the same in the DNS, so I guess that it was only a matter of time.

-- Dave