oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: STARTTLS vulnerabilities

From: Hanno Böck <hanno () hboeck de>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2021 08:16:34 +0200

Hi,

On Tue, 10 Aug 2021 15:41:56 +0200
Guido Berhoerster <guido+openwall.com () berhoerster name> wrote:

have you or are you planning to look into XMPP client/server
implementations as well?  The use of STARTTLS for both c2s and s2s
connections is still prevalent both in terms of implementation
support and actual practice and could potentially suffer form the
same issues (command injection or downgrade attacks).

We have not looked much into other protocols, and given how much time
we've already spent on the topic I think it is unlikely that we will do
this.

Of course it's a very obvious idea for further research to look if one
finds similar vulnerabilities to the ones we found in other protocols.
So I'd really like to encourage other people to look for this.

FWIW there are a lot of protocols with a STARTTLS mechanism, here's the
list of supported protocols by OpenSSL:
        smtp
        pop3
        imap