oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: OpenSSL 1.1.1 CVE-2021-3450 CA certificate check bypass with X509_V_FLAG_X509_STRICT, CVE-2021-3449 NULL pointer deref in signature_algorithms processing

From: Gordon Tetlow <gordon () tetlows org>
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2021 15:28:52 -0700

On Sat, Mar 27, 2021 at 11:05 AM Solar Designer <solar () openwall com> wrote:

One other detail I feel I have to bring up in here, and expect a
response to, is Wind River's apparent leak of the vulnerability detail
two days prior to scheduled public disclosure.  This was brought up on
the distros list back then, and I was also asked about it on Twitter
when the vulnerabilities were finally made public appropriately on the
scheduled date.

Since the vulnerability detail wasn't on the distros list, it's not
exactly a case of a list member leaking from there, but it's closely
related.  And regardless of where this happened, it's a concern, which
we probably should discuss on oss-security.

So I'd appreciate an explanation/statement from Wind River on what
happened and what measures, if any, are being taken to prevent this from
happening again.  I'd also appreciate a comment from OpenSSL.

The leak was on a web page archived here:

https://web.archive.org/web/20210324105700/https://support2.windriver.com/index.php?page=security-notices&on=view&id=7055

While I am neither Wind River nor OpenSSL, I did notice on the linked
page that the upper right hand corner says:
Released: Apr 22, 2020     Updated: Mar 22, 2021

Without knowing much else, it feels like someone accidentally put a
"released" date as last year and the content management system went
ahead and made the article public. Hard to say without confirmation,
but I could definitely see that being the chain of events.

Gordon