oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: kdeconnect: CVE-2020-26164: multiple security issues in kdeconnectd network daemon

From: Solar Designer <solar () openwall com>
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2020 15:28:19 +0200

On Tue, Oct 13, 2020 at 02:29:12PM +0200, Matthias Gerstner wrote:
The SUSE security team noticed that a new network service service
`kdeconnectd` was active by default  in openSUSE Leap 15.2 listening on TCP
and UDP port 1716. `kdeconnectd` is started automatically in the context of
any KDE session and runs with the privileges of the logged in user.

`kdeconnectd` talks to an Android smartphone app. The use cases are, among
others:

- sharing the PC clipboard with the smartphone
- controlling the PC from the smartphone (running commands, controlling input)

I conducted an in-depth source code review [...]

Thank you for your work on this, and for publishing so much detail!

Will kdeconnectd no longer be active by default in openSUSE?  I hope so.
Merely fixing the known issues doesn't address the fact that this poses
unjustified risk for most people.

Alexander