oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: [CVE-2019-16782] Possible Information Leak / Session Hijack Vulnerability in Rack

From: Stuart D Gathman <stuart () gathman org>
Date: Wed, 8 Apr 2020 21:26:07 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 9 Apr 2020, Brian May wrote:

1. The attacker could send various bogus session ids, starting with
all possible valid bytes. The database, if it uses a trie (yes,
strawman example - is it used by any real-world database?) as a data
structure to speed up looking up sessions, will terminate the
comparison early on invalid bytes, thus disclosing them.

Not real-world as the number of installations is maybe 6 now, but
the one I wrote removes leading duplicates from index records (replacing
with a dup count).  I believe that timing the lookups could disclose
bytes as described.  It's super efficient, though.  :-)