oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: Multiple telnet.c overflows

From: Tavis Ormandy <taviso () google com>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2018 22:13:11 -0800

On Wed, Dec 12, 2018 at 5:21 PM Hacker Fantastic
<hackerfantastic () googlemail com> wrote:

Please see the below proof of concept in triggering the heap overflow using the IAC SB TELQUAL_IS environment option
variable assignment. As per my original advisory, which did not fully indicate the details but gave the overview of
how to trigger the condition.

Cool, but I think this is a different bug (AFAICT, it's CVE-2005-0469,
it was fixed in netkit, but far fewer distros use inetutils). I agree
this was a real vulnerability, It's a pretty good sign inetutils
should be deprecated imho.

Tavis.