oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: Crashes and memory safety bugs in dcraw

From: Marcus Meissner <meissner () suse de>
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2018 15:16:30 +0100

On Fri, Nov 23, 2018 at 09:22:17AM +0100, Hanno Böck wrote:
Hi,

dcraw is a tool to process raw images from digital cameras.
It easily crashes with various issues (tested version 9.28.0). This was
very shallow testing (afl fuzzing with random inputs, not starting with
valid images), I assume there's much more. I reported those a long time
ago to its author, he didn't seem interested in fixing such issues.

Some applications use dcraw automatically to parse images (gthumb,
kphotoalbum, kde thumbnailers, gwenview).

Input samples are base64.

One thing to look at replacement of dcraw is probably libraw, which is more
active. (It used the dcraw sources originally.)

Ciao, Marcus