oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: Re: About OpenSSH "user enumeration" / CVE-2018-15473

From: Damien Miller <djm () mindrot org>
Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2018 10:32:12 +1000 (AEST)

On Fri, 24 Aug 2018, Solar Designer wrote:

Hi Damien,

Thank you for sharing these thoughts with the community.

On Fri, Aug 24, 2018 at 10:58:20AM +1000, Damien Miller wrote:
Finally, and perhaps most importantly: there's a fundamental tradeoff
between attack surface and fixing this class of bug. As a concrete
example, fixing this one added about 150 lines of code to our
pre-authentication attack surface. In this case, we were willing to do
this because we had confidence in the additional parsing, mostly because
it's been reviewed several times and we've conducted a decent amount of
fuzzing on it. But, given the choice between leaving a known account
validity oracle or exposing something we don't trust, we'll choose the
former every time.

Can you summarize for us all (on these mailing lists) the commits
leading to OpenSSH 7.8 that deal with this issue and add "about 150
lines of code", please?

It's this one:

 * sshd(8): avoid observable differences in request parsing that could
   be used to determine whether a target user is valid.

(Commit 74287f5df9)

Note that there's no new code added, but delaying the checks means more
code is exposed before the authentication handler bails out.

-d