oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: Linux Kernel Defence Map

From: Alexander Popov <alex.popov () linux com>
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2018 02:38:50 +0300

On 05.04.2018 22:20, Kees Cook wrote:
On Thu, Apr 5, 2018 at 5:32 AM, Alexander Popov <alex.popov () linux com> wrote:
On 05.04.2018 01:17, Kees Cook wrote:
"type confusion" seems weird to me, but I haven't spent a lot of time
weighing the options of the naming of these things. "Overwriting a
function pointer" is the method, and the bug is "unexpectedly
accessing userspace memory from the kernel" (which is usually
"something overwrite a pointer").

Just got an idea to call it "userspace data access". Short and simple!

I also combined SMAP/PAN and UDEREF into a cluster to reduce the number of
edges. Now it looks a bit better.

Kees, thanks again for such a cool feedback. The map is updated.

Very cool! Maybe also add an out-of-tree bubble for "Clang CFI", which
gives forward-edge protection for code-reuse...

Ok. Created a CFI cluster with RAP and Clang CFI inside.

However, I didn't manage to find any materials about applying Clang CFI to the
Linux kernel.

Thanks!
Alexander