oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: CVE-2018-1130: Linux kernel: dccp: a null pointer dereference in net/dccp/output.c:dccp_write_xmit

From: Kurt Seifried <kseifried () redhat com>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2018 08:57:45 -0600

On Wed, May 23, 2018 at 8:49 AM, Andrey Konovalov <andreyknvl () gmail com>
wrote:

On Thu, May 10, 2018 at 2:05 PM, Vladis Dronov <vdronov () redhat com> wrote:
Hello,

A null pointer dereference in dccp_write_xmit() function in
net/dccp/output.c
in the Linux kernel before v4.16-rc7 allows a local user to cause a
denial of
service by a number of certain crafted system calls.

So the classic CVE statement for this is "does it cross/violate a trust
boundary". Yeah I know, not super helpful.

In general when I look at something and need to decide whether or not it
deserves/needs a CVE the fundamentals are:

1) Can an attacker use this vulnerability to gain access, additional
privileges, basically is there an impact to
Confidentiality/Availability/Integrity? This is really two tests: is there
an impact, and is there a way for the attacker to trigger or exploit it?
That's a CVE.

2) Does the software/system make a specific security claim that they then
fail to meet? E.g. "we include a firewall that blocks access to everything
inbound except for port 22", if they were to then also allow port 80,
that'd be a CVE.

So for the syzbot stuff mostly what you need to determine is:

a) is there a security related impact?
AND
b) can an attacker trigger it?

If both are yes, then a CVE is warranted.