oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: Re: CVE-2017-5123 Linux kernel v4.13 waitid() not calling access_ok()

From: up201407890 () alunos dcc fc up pt
Date: Sun, 05 Nov 2017 13:58:33 +0100

Hello again list,

Here's a video on how I bypassed KASLR and got root using only CVE-2017-5123, a non-controlled arbitrary write (though 0's are written), without a single read.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfwOJIcV5ZA

"This exploit uses solely CVE-2017-5123, a Linux kernel vulnerability for 4.12-4.13, which gives an attacker a write-not-what-only-where primitive, or in other words, the ability to write non-controlled user data to arbitrary kernel memory. KASLR is bypassed using memory probing and root obtained via cred struct spraying and location predictability.

twitter.com/uid1000

Music is from Sonic the Hedgehog (1991) for the Sega Genesis."

I may write a more detailed write-up if people seem interested. :)

Thanks,
Federico Bento.