oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: CVE-2017-16231: PCRE 8.41 match() stack overflow; CVE-2017-16232: LibTIFF 4.0.8 memory leaks

From: Bob Friesenhahn <bfriesen () simple dallas tx us>
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2017 09:59:42 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 1 Nov 2017, ???? wrote:

[Suggested description]
LibTIFF 4.0.8 has multiple memory leak vulnerabilities, which allow
attackers to cause a denial of service (memory consumption), as demonstrated
by tif_open.c, tif_lzw.c, and tif_aux.c

[Additional Information]
/tiff2bw ../../../../libtiff_4.0.8_afl/2bw_output/crashes/poc.tif 222.tif

I am not seeing any memory leak vulnerability. I do see that tiff2bw made no attempt to release any memory at all (not strictly required for a utility since memory is released when it quits). I have modified the code in the development CVS version to release memory to satisfy memory checkers.

Use CVE-2017-16232.

This is a memory-based DOS issue within tiff2bw itself (not directly inside libtiff). TIFF files using LZW compression can achieve a very high compression ratio so it can be difficult to predict if a file's pixel dimensions are bogus or not. Valid files also pose a DOS opportunity. There are no arbitrary limits imposed within tiff2bw.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn
bfriesen () simple dallas tx us, http://www.simplesystems.org/users/bfriesen/