oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: CVE-2017-8805: Unsafe symlinks not filtered in Debian mirror script ftpsync

From: Robert Watson <robertcwatson1 () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2017 16:55:07 -0400

May be that this convo should be migrated somewhere else, but I'd really
like to understand how this has anything to do with symlinks. Been
programming Unix/Linux for 30 years but now need to be a real SysAdmin so
need to correct my misconceptions.

Removing the ability for rsync to copy symlinks pointing to targets outside
the mirror tree would greatly cripple it. I need to understand how the
danger is worth the loss of this functionality.

Can you or anyone help me with this?

*Trust in truth keeps hope aliverobertcwatson1 () gmail com
<robertcwatson1 () gmail com>webmaster () civicchorale org
<webmaster () civicchorale org>alpha.docsalvager.info
<http://alpha.docsalvager.info>www.CivicChorale.org
<http://www.CivicChorale.org>*