oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: systemd fails to parse user that should run service

From: Jeffrey Walton <noloader () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2017 22:12:11 -0400

On Sun, Jul 2, 2017 at 5:08 AM, Daniel SkowroĊ„ski <daniel () dsinf net> wrote:
Just wanted to bring attention to issue with systemd not doing what is expected when parsing User that should run
service.
When it fails to parse string starting with digit it fails back to root causing obvious threat to security.

See discussion with developer on github: https://github.com/systemd/systemd/issues/6237

Point 1 from https://github.com/systemd/systemd/issues/6237#issuecomment-312479534
seems to be a problem:

systemd is not the one coming up with the restrictions on user names,
and while some distributions are less restrictive, many do enforce the
same restrictions as we do. In order to make systemd unit files
portable between systems we'll hence enforce something that
resembles more the universally accepted set, rather than accept the
most liberal set possible.

systemd is effectively setting policy where it has no business doing so.

Jeff