oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: stackguard fix in Red Hat and Ubuntu kernels

From: Marcus Meissner <meissner () suse de>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2017 16:34:02 +0200

On Thu, Jun 22, 2017 at 09:38:13PM +0800, Greg KH wrote:
On Thu, Jun 22, 2017 at 02:18:33PM +0200, Marcus Meissner wrote:
Hi,

Yes, we at SUSE are seeing similar crashes. Thanks for the reproducer!

The patches upstream in Linus's tree should resolve these crashes,
correct?  If not, please let the kernel developers know, as we ended up
going with a different set of changes than the distros shipped, and are
still working on getting these backported to older stable kernels at the
moment.

For a bit of history...

We used the patch developed by Michal Hocko, which was apparently adjusted/rewritten
by Hugh Dickins for upstream inclusion.

We are working on the improvements on those for our 3.0 kernel, but take
a backport of the mainline fix for 3.12 and 4.4 kernels.

Ciao, Marcus