oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: CVE-2016-5696: linux kernel - challange ack information leak.

From: Greg KH <greg () kroah com>
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2016 14:16:21 +0200

On Wed, Aug 17, 2016 at 11:54:56AM +0000, Sona Sarmadi wrote:

You can _always_ just apply the patch to your local tree, there's
never a need to wait for me to get a kernel out.  That's the
advantage of having the source for your systems :)
Yes, we can do that but sometimes the patches for newer kernels don't
apply cleanly on older versions.
There is always a risk that our home grown patches have undesired side
effects. We prefer your sign of approval on patches for older kernels
:)

Heh, fair enough.  This fix is now in the kernels that were released today
(4.7.1, 4.6.7, 4.4.18, and 3.14.76), hope that helps.

greg k-h

Thanks a lot Greg, yes this helps :) I could apply  patch from linux-3.14.y branch
to linux-3.12.y as well (the code looks similar).

Note, I got the patch a bit wrong, it's not as fast as it could be,
here's an update to put on top of the one you took from 3.14.y:

https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/stable/stable-queue.git/commit/?id=e09bea58ec0552dbbf71fb22bf7a46da9a288fc8

thanks,

greg k-h