oss-sec mailing list archives

Re: Concerns about CVE coverage shrinking - direct impact to researchers/companies

From: Simon Ward <simon+oss-sec () bleah co uk>
Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2016 11:28:48 +0000

On 5 March 2016 20:25:49 GMT+00:00, Adam Caudill <adam () adamcaudill com> wrote:
Here is what I would like to see:

* Simple ID Request - Data required should be minimal, though I think
a few basic items are needed. Perhaps vendor, product, version(s),
title, and contact information. Optionally, the requestor should be
able to provide their GPG public key, a detailed description,
reference URL(s), etc. The ID should then be instantly issued, and
given a status of assigned.

While I like the idea of being able to trivially get a global identifier for a vulnerability I find those with no
information,. i.e. Unknown attack vector and impacts, useless. There's no good way to prioritise these: if you assume
the worst case you get drowned in a sea of vulnerabilities you have to investigate.

Simon